Emotional Budgeting: Stoking the fire in the belly and not burning everyone nearby including yourself.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 To Everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.
I know, I know.. . You guys and gals s are thinking.. “Jason’s flipped his lid again.” Why is the nerdy numbers guy talking about emotion and emotional budgeting? Eh, remember the first rule of money: Money is emotional. What is emotional budgeting? Emotional budgeting is the process of prioritizing the PEOPLE and relationships in our lives. Have you ever come home from a long day at work with just nothing left to give anyone else? Does your significant other feel that your work is your mistress and you never have anything for them? Do your kids play third and fourth fiddle to your work and hobbies? Do you even know? Well, put on your big boy pants (gosh, why do I suddenly want a double decker cheeseburger with salad bar?Gorbachov, tear down that wall.) and do the DANGEROUS THING. Ask them if you are investing enough with them and then be prepared to plan your emotional budget accordingly. Here are some items to budget for that might help and prioritize.
- Invest time with God and ask for guidance and peace with what you find out when you ask the tough questions.
- Set up a date night with your spouse. Put in on the calendar each week! It does not matter if that date and time changes each week, you just need to make it a priority.
- If you have kids, set up a monthly date with each of your kids individually. Make it all about them and do what they like to do.
- Have family date night where you all do things together as a family.
- Date yourself. Yes, I said it. Find time for stuff that energizes you too. How can you give if you don’t have already?
- If work is consuming, find out if this is just a “season,” or if it’s a constant. Work is worship, but if it’s getting in the way of your relationships you need to review how you are working.
- TAKE A VACATION: Plan it, save up for it and take it. Your money will be making memories.
- Watch your diet and exercise. If you don’t do either, it will be hard to have the physical and mental energy to handle the emotions within.
This is a blend/balancing act. There will time times when one item will overshadow another and it will never be perfect. The more important thing is that you are aware and making sure you build into those people and relationships that you value most dear.
Profit for the Prophet!